So how do you feed an altar?
This can vary greatly and depend on what your altar is for but here are some ways to keep your altars fed and looked after even if they are long term (one of my altars in my home has been up for 4 years now and is still very much a working space).....
1. Anointing Deity statues
2. Lighting incense that resonated with that deity or intention
3. Regularly burning candles
4. Chanting, mantra and song
5. If you have a singing bowl, bell or rattle use sound to raise the energy at your altar
6. Take your gemstones from your altar and place them under the full moon each month
7. Reactivate your grids regularly
8. Clear your altar space with sacred sage or aura sprays
9. Regularly change your offerings out for fresh, this could be food, flowers, herbs, money, shells or other sacred items to that altar
10. Meditation with your deity in their temple
11. For set in place altars carefully remove any dust every so often and clean down statues if you have been anointing them
12. Anoint gemstones and tools
13. Regularly reaffirm the intention of your altar with ritual, song or whatever is part of your own practice. Use the lunar cycle.
14. Give thanks and gratitude